Boston Family Law Information Center
Do you have a specific question about family law?
Looking For A Qualified Family Law Attorney In Massachusetts?
Family law generally refers to legal issues involving spouses, children, or other members of the family. You may want to seek the assistance of a family law attorney if you are in one of the following situations:
- You are seeking a divorce or your spouse has filed for divorce
- You are getting married and want to have a pre-nuptial agreement
- You would like to take legal responsibility for a child that is not your own
- You would like to establish the paternity of a child
- You would like to establish or modify a child support order or believe that the terms of an order have been violated
- You have custody of a child and would like to move across state lines
- You are concerned about the welfare of a child and feel that he/she should be placed in the care of a guardian
This list is not meant to be exhaustive. If you have additional questions, you should consider speaking with a family law attorney.
What can family law proceedings involve?
There are also family law cases in which two parties cannot agree to the terms of an arrangement. When this happens, a judge from the Probate and Family Court will decide on the terms of the agreement.
What kind of expertise can a family law attorney bring to my case?
The process for family law cases can vary depending on the legal issue and particular circumstances surrounding the case. Family law decisions in Massachusetts must be filed and settled in the Probate and Family Court and involve specific legal documents and procedures. An attorney with expertise in family law can guide you through the process by reviewing your unique situation, helping you file the appropriate forms, and answering specific legal questions that you might have to come to an arrangement that meets Massachusetts guidelines.
Family law cases can also involve complicated financial decisions, including dividing assets, agreeing to alimony, and establishing child support payments. When making financial agreements, a qualified family law attorney can help you avoid decisions that might lead to later complications. Family legal issues can certainly be very stressful both personally and financially. Consulting a lawyer can be an important step in easing that burden and making sure that your best interests are taken into consideration throughout the duration of your case.